If you ever had bed bugs before or know someone who has dealt with them, then you likely know how incredibly tough they are to get rid of. These tough little bugs hide very well, coming out at night to bite your skin, leaving itchy red welts when you wake. You may have tried everything you know to get rid of them and none of it worked. That’s the problem with bed bugs, they’re a tough nut to crack. To help you out with this, we set out to find some of the best products on the market to help you get rid of them.
|Our Take||Best Price||Best Overall||Editor’s Choice|
What Are Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs are small creatures that hide in mattresses, couches and other soft areas of your home where people tend to spend their time. According to Terminix.com, you can see signs of them in your home by looking out for blood spots, fecal matter and skin casings. However, the first sign of them around will likely be the itchy spots on your skin, which should prompt you to look out carefully for signs of bed bugs in your house.
They won’t spread disease, but if you itch the welts they leave behind, you could expose your body to infection very easily. They are more annoying for most people than an actual health risk, but you are definitely going to want to get rid of them.
Why Are Bed Bugs So Hard to Get Rid of?
What is it about bed bugs that makes them so notoriously difficult to eliminate from your house? There are actually a number of reasons why:
- Bed bugs are small- They are very hard to see with the naked eye, so unless you are specifically looking for them, you may never even see them, even if you have a serious infestation. Their eggs are small and white, so they are even harder to see compared to the grown bug itself.
- They hide very well- Bed bugs take up residence under your mattress, under the lip or edge of the couch and bed and in other out-of-the-way places. Once again, unless you are looking for them, you will probably never see these pests.
- They are very tough- Most bug sprays are not going to work against bed bugs, according to Medical News Today. These creatures are very resilient, so you often have to buy specialized sprays.
- They hardly ever need to eat– Bed bugs can go for up to a year between meals. You can’t really starve them to death, so the best way to deal with them is to kill them directly.
Things to Consider before You Buy
There are tons of bed bug products out there, and a lot of them are not going to solve your problem. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you search for the right bed bug spray:
- Make sure it is made for bed bugs- Not all pesticides work on bed bugs, so make sure it is something that is specifically designed for this pest.
- Prepare the area for extermination- According to BedBugs.org, you need to do some work to get the area ready for spray or treatment. You can clean the sheets in hot water, close off all escape routes and eliminate hiding spots.
- Read product reviews- Find out how other people have succeeded or failed in eliminating bed bugs using a specific brand or product before you buy any bed bug spray.
- You may need a lot- There are probably more bed bugs hiding in your home than you realize, so be ready to get a lot of spray to get the job done.
Top 10 Best Rated Best Bed Bug Sprays
Now, we want to show you some of the best products you can use to get rid of bed bugs.
Those were our top picks for bed bug sprays for your home, hotel room or workplace. Be sure to choose the one that is suitable for your needs and consider whether you should go with a potent spray or one that is weaker but that uses natural components. As always, common sense and some trial & error will always win. Sometimes one product will just not cut it, prompting you to try another brand. In any case, any one of the above products will is recommended, so try one of them out, if your first product of choice fails to eliminate those bed bugs.