Few pests can cause a much structural damage to your home or business as carpenter ants can. They burrow through wood and build their colonies deep inside the structure, causing massive damage and creating serious problems that can become incredibly expensive to deal with. We are going to show you how you can get rid of them by choosing the right products for the job.
|Brand||Demise Fire Ant Killer||Raid Max Ant & Roach Killer||Bugs R Ant Killer|
|Our Take||Best Price||Best Overall||Editor’s Choice|
Why Are Carpenter Ants So Hard to Get Rid of?
These ants are so tough to get out of your home because they are so difficult to access. They can dig deep into the structure of your building, getting into hard-to-reach places. Even spray treatments have a hard time reaching as far into your property as these ants can get.
The ant queens can live for decades, according to pest control experts. That means that you can’t just expect them to die anytime soon. You have to actively do something about them or they will reproduce to such an extent that you may never be able to get rid of the infestation.
These are also pretty tough ants, as you might expect from something that can dig through wood. They can be resistant to conventional pest killers, and you may need something stronger than your average bug spray for getting rid of them.
What to Consider Before You Buy a Carpenter Ant Killer
We want you to buy the most effective carpenter ant killer that you can. That’s why when searching for the right product for the job, you should keep in mind:
- Precise Spray- If you are using a spray to get rid of the ants, then you need something that can get into very small crevices and spread through their tunnels effectively. That means it will have to have precise spraying capabilities, since carpenter ants never get as big as a full inch.
- Reaching the Nest- Your ant problem will never go away unless you deal with the nest effectively. Just killing the odd few and those ants that venture outside the nest won’t do anything to get rid of the core problem. Getting control of the nest should be your top priority when trying to get rid of carpenter ants, and you need a product that can help you do that.
- Safe for Your Family- Some ant killing products are so powerful that they are actually dangerous to be around for humans and pets alike. You want to be careful about what you are buying and where you are using it. Make sure you don’t get something that will leave behind a residue that could damage other inhabitants of your home. Check the safety guidelines included with the product to ensure it is safe for where you are going to use it.
- Consider Bait- You may not be able to reach deep inside the tunnels that the carpenter ants have created in your home. No matter what product you use, it may not penetrate deep enough to target the nest and put an end to the problem. Instead, you may be better off with bait. This is something that ants will take with them into the nest and kill the other ants there. It can be the more effective option when you have an ant issue that is centered deep inside your walls and in other inaccessible places.
What to Avoid
There are some things and certain kinds of products you should avoid when you are buying an ant killer for dealing with carpenter ants:
- Ineffective Treatments- There are a lot of ant killer products out there that just won’t be tough enough to get rid of carpenter ants. They may use weak chemicals or not account for how tough these critters are to exterminate, but make sure you read the reviews to find out if the products have been effective for other people.
- Homemade Ant Killers- Most of these are simply not effective, they smell bad or they are dangerous in some form or another. While some people can make effective ant killers at home that work well and are safe, there is too much that can go wrong with this method, so be careful about trying to make your own.
- Short-Term Effects- Some ant killers are meant to be applied only once while continuing to kill ants for a long time afterwards. Others need to be sprayed every day for a while to be effective. If you can, go for the ant killing products that provide long-lasting effects and avoid those that only last for a few hours.
- Slow Acting- Some pest control products take a long time to work. You may be okay with that, but keep in mind that the longer these pests are alive, the more likely they are to be able to get away from whatever you applied to get rid of them. The faster the treatment method works, the more effective it will be.
Product Reviews: Our Top 5 Best Rated Carpenter Ant Killers
We want to show you a few of the best carpenter ant killing solutions on the market today. Hopefully, one of these will prove to be just what you need to get rid of your ant problem.
The above list has some of the best solutions on the market today for clearing out the carpenter ant infestation in your home. These pesky insects may have gotten the best of you for a while, but it’s time to claim your house back! Remember, that depending on where you live in, some local ant colonies may have developed resistance to certain chemicals. Therefore, if one product doesn’t work, just try another one. Eventually you will get rid or those carpenter ants, for a ant-free home.