Flying ants may seem like a unique species, but they actually are just your typical house ant. They have grown wings for a specific reason though. That’s because they have started to breed, and their arrival in your home is a sign that you need to do something about them fast.
If you don’t, you can have a full-blown infestation on your hands that is tough to get rid of. We are going to show you a few products you can use to eliminate them and help you make the right decision in picking pesticides and other tools for the job.
Our Top Picks:
|Brand||TERRO T901-6||Cutter Backyard Bug Control||Bugs R Ant Killer|
|Our Take||Best Price||Best Overall||Editor’s Choice|
Why Are Ants So Hard to Get Rid of?
It’s not very hard to kill those ants that are crawling across your counter. Just wipe them away with a dishrag, squish them with your hand or spray any kind of pesticide on them and they are dead instantly. However, you are not dealing with the root problem when you are only attacking the visible ants.
Also Read: Best Sugar Ant Killers
That’s because ants have their nests and their colonies deep within your walls or in other places that are tough for you to get to. If you are not dealing with the colony, then you are not getting rid of the ants. They will just come back later in full force and continue to spread throughout your house.
Flying ants are fairly easy to take out, and you can use most sprays to get rid of them, but the ones that are hiding back at the nest are your big concern. You need a way to eliminate them, and not all pesticides will do the job. That is why there are some factors you need to consider when shopping for the proper solution. This is very important since you’ll want to spend your time and money effectively.
5 Best Rated Flying Ant Killers Reviewed
There are great products you can use to get rid of flying ants- both those that you see in your house and the others back at the ant colony. Here are our top picks.
Wondercide Natural Indoor Pest Control Home and Patio Spray 32 oz Lemongrass
For a safer, more natural bug killer, you can try this product by Wondercide. It is made with non-toxic chemicals, but it is still potent enough to get rid of the bugs in your home. In fact, it can kill dozens of different kinds of insects hiding out in your home.
It won’t work outside very well, and it is a bit on the expensive side, but it is very effective and very safe, making it a great choice for many consumers.
- Natural product that is safe to use anywhere.
- Kills a variety of bugs.
- Uses no toxic chemicals.
- Reviews state that this product worked great.
- There have been a few reports of the spray staining hardwood floors. Better used for carpets and other fabrics, where stains won’t show.
What to Consider Before You Buy
If you are going to buy the best product for eliminating flying ants, then you need to know what to look for. Here is our list of things you should consider as you shop:
- Will It Affect the Nest? – One of the most important things to keep in mind as you shop for ant killer products is that not all of them will target or even affect the nest in any way. You can use bait or some long-term product to poison the nest and reach farther than just the ants in your immediate area.
- Effectiveness- How effective will the product be? Is it going to kill ants over time or right away? Will it kill all of them or just some? Will it kill every species of ant? These are questions you need to ask and try to get answers to by reading reviews and looking closely at the labels and content descriptions for each product you are considering buying.
- Safety- You also need to consider how safe the chemicals you are going to use will be. Will you be spraying it in certain areas where small children or pets move around? Then you need to consider if it will leave a lasting residue that can be harmful to them. You can also take into account its effect on the environment, as many chemicals used in pesticides can harm the environment in various ways.
- Ease of Use- Some ant killing products are difficult to use or need to be administered multiple times to be effective. You can find decent ones that only need to be applied once, that will last for a long time and that are simple to use in every regard, requiring only a simple spray or application.
What to Avoid
Some ant-killing products just don’t cut it. Some factors you should avoid when you are shopping for the right ant killer:
- Dangerous Chemicals- You can kill ants without having to inhale toxic fumes or clean up a nasty residue that is left over. A lot of modern ant-eliminating products are designed to be safe for your family and for the environment and require no clean-up whatsoever.
- Dust Clouds- There are some powder-based chemicals that can create dust clouds when you use them, and that can be very dangerous as well. These tend to be incredibly unhealthy and not have much of an effective range, so you should avoid them when possible. You are much better off with a spray or some other form of ant killer.
- Short Range- You need a treatment method that can kill more than just the ants you see. It needs to be able to eliminate ants inside the walls and in the general area, because you won’t be able to find every ant yourself. It is recommended that you close off access points when fighting an ant infestation, and one way to do that is with a penetrating chemical that gets into those places that you can’t see or reach.
- Expensive- You don’t need to pay a lot to buy an effective pest control solution. There are some very cheap products out there that do the job every bit as well as the more expensive choices.
We have included everything you need to shop smartly for ant-eliminating products. Those flying ants can be dealt with effectively if you have the right tools, and we hope this article helps you make the best choice for your situation. Remember that not all products work the same in every case. If the product you got doesn’t seem to do the trick, just try another one off the above list. Eventually one of them will get the job done, for a cosy, ant-free home.