|Brand||Nit Free||NIX||SEVA USA|
|Our Take||Best Overall||Best Price||Editor’s Choice|
Part of treating lice in your hair is combing them out. With most medications or treatments you will use, you have to comb out the small nits and eggs.
That won’t be necessary for every kind of treatment method, but most treatment methods require combing.
You want to be sure you pick the right kind of comb, because a non-effective one will be a waste of money and time and it can mean the difference between lice coming back or not.
Why Are Lice So Hard to Get Rid of?
Lice are pretty resilient, and there are a lot of treatment methods out there that don’t get rid of them. Various products may claim to have an effect on lice, but they don’t actually do more than irritate them.
Lice are difficult to get out of your hair because of how small they are, how agile they can be as they move from one spot to the next and how quickly they reproduce.
If you don’t get rid of them all at once, you may have another infestation shortly after. You need to be thorough when you attack a lice problem and ensure that you treat the heads of everyone in the family.
They can hide out in clothes too and not just hair, so you may need to treat clothing as well. That’s what many people fail to do when they handle lice infestations, and that’s why the problem comes back to haunt them again shortly after in many cases.
What to Consider Before You Buy Lice Combs
Finding the right kind of comb can be tough if you don’t know what to look for. That’s why when shopping for lice combs there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Fine-Toothed- Lice and lice eggs are incredibly small. You may have trouble seeing them with the naked eye, so be sure you use a fine-toothed comb to remove them. Anything other than that will likely leave a lot of them in your hair. Any comb labeled as being good at getting rid of lice should fit into this category.
- The Tougher the Better- You also want a comb that won’t break down as you try to remove lice. If you have wiry or thick hair, then a weak comb may not be a good choice. You may pay a bit extra for something durable, such as a stainless-steel comb, but it can make the job much easier and allows you to be more effective.
- Use Treatment as Well- Keep in mind that you will probably need to treat your hair with some sort of medication to get rid of the lice. Combing won’t be enough in most cases, and if you want to be sure the lice are not coming back, then you will want to use something that can kill them. Buy a comb, by all means, but remember that combing alone isn’t likely to do the trick.
- Price- You will probably only use this comb once or twice and then never really need it again. There is no need to go all out and buy the most expensive comb you can find. Yes, you want something effective, but it also needs to be reasonably priced. Some manufacturers take advantage of your lice problem and the stress that can put you under and expect you to pay more than you should just to get rid of lice.
What to Avoid
There are certain kinds of combs that you need to avoid when you are trying to get something that will be effective at removing lice:
- Wide-Toothed- You can’t just use any kind of comb and expect good results when it comes to removing lice. Wider-toothed combs will be ineffective and will miss a lot of the lice or require that you do a lot more work to get the same results as you would get with a fine-toothed comb.
- Low Quality- The cheapest lice combs are made from plastic, but some of these are not very durable. You may be better off paying a bit more for something that lasts longer and is less likely to crack, bend or break as you use it. Look at reviews as you try to find the right comb and see what other customers have to say about the comb. As we said before, getting the most expensive comb may prove to be unnecessary. You should find something down the middle.
- Non-Lice Combs- Look for combs that are made for getting rid of lice, as anything else may not be very efficient. Most lice combs have some hooks on them to help pull out the lice and their eggs effectively. Lice combs will be made to work with the wet combing method that experts recommend you use to remove lice effectively.
- Combs without Reviews- Most decent lice combs will have some reviews posted about them, and if you can’t find any reviews for a specific comb, it is often better to not purchase it, just to be safe.
Best Rated Lice Combs Reviewed
With the above in mind, let’s take a look at some of the best lice combs available.
Nit Free Terminator Lice Comb, Professional Stainless Steel Louse and Nit Comb for Head Lice Treatment
This is one of the leading lice treatment brands, and they make combs that are built to be durable and very effective at removing lice. This stainless-steel comb will last you and be well worth the minor investment. If you want something that gets rid of lice without any problems, then this is the comb for you.
Even though it is a steel comb, it is priced affordably and about the same price as many quality plastic combs, so this is definitely one of the better value lice combs out there. The steel itself is not of the highest quality though, and there have been reports of some rusting over time.
HEAD LICE COMB SET for Fast Nit and Lice Treatment
You get three combs for the price of one here. These short combs are designed for fine combing methods and are made specifically for getting rid of lice. The combs are made from stainless steel and environmentally friendly plastic, and they are designed to last you for a while.
After all, most lice treatment takes at least a few days, and even weeks in some instances, so the comb needs to be durable, in order to be very effective. These definitely stand up to the high-quality standards people want from their lice combs, but the spaces may be a bit too wide for every type of hair.
Nix Electronic Lice Comb
You may not even need medication to deal with your lice if you use this electric lice comb. It kills lice as it comes in contact with them. As you might expect, it’s more expensive than most of the lice combs, but it can save you money over buying a full lice treatment kit or buying a comb and medication separately.
It does everything for you, and that can be very convenient for consumers. You’ll have to comb your hair anyway to get rid of the lice, so why not use a comb that kills the lice at the same time?
V-Comb, FDA Registered Allergy and Chemical Free Head Lice Treatment
Here is another comb that gets rid of lice without needing to use any chemicals or medications. It kills lice quickly and then removes them from your hair, and you can use it safely on your entire family. This is ideal for lice treatment on small children and others who are at risk when using harsh chemical solutions. It is much pricier than the other options we have looked at, but it is also the most effective comb for killing and removing lice.
If the good aspects outweigh the bad in your book and chemical treatments have been a disappointment, then maybe you should give it a try.
Professional Lice Comb – Nit Comb – Best Value – Stainless Steel – Reusable – Lice Treatment
This is one of the few combs with spiral grooves. That makes it extra effective for lice removal and one of the most efficient methods of getting lice out of your hair. It’s a simple steel comb, but with its affordable price and the smartly crafted design, it makes lice removal far easier than it would be with most competing products.
After doing lots of research, we’ve picked out the best products on the market today. These top-notch lice combs will definitely take care of business.
It is important to remember though, that not all people are the same, and what works for one person may not work for another.
If you happen to have very thick hair, for instance, then maybe you’ll be better off using a different comb than what you initially chose.
The important thing is not to give up and deal with these pesky pests as fast as possible. If one product didn’t work for you, just try another one. Eventually you will find a comb that suits your needs and gets the job done.