|Our Take||Best Price||Best Overall||Editor’s Choice|
Head Lice Basics
Kids often get head lice from head-to-head contact with other children, or by sharing personal things like hats, hairbands and combs.
Discovering that someone in your family has lice is never welcome news, but there’s no need to feel overwhelmed by the prospect of getting rid of lice.
There are many different treatments for lice available on the market. With an average bottle of lice shampoo costing between $10 and $20 (depending on the brand and how many uses are in the bottle), lice shampoo is a lot less expensive than other lice treatments.
Finding the best shampoo for lice treatment doesn’t have to be hard.
Listed below are some of the most effective lice shampoos on the market:
LiceLogic Natural Lice Shampoo and Treatment
This non-toxic, natural lice shampoo treatment is designed to kill head lice and nits (lice eggs) naturally. It’s pesticide-free, enzyme based, and safe to use on children over 2 years of age. The shampoo is gentle enough for everyday use by the whole family to eliminate and fend off lice. It’s plant-based and contains a powerful proprietary enzyme blend from LiceLogic which is proven to kill lice and nits on contact.
- Easy to use, with a refreshing peppermint scent
- Family-sized bottle with up to 16 treatments
- Eco-friendly, bio-degradable, and contains no harsh ingredients
- As with most all natural products, it comes with a slightly higher price tag
- Big families or people with very long hair may need to buy multiple bottles
Schooltime Shampoo for Lice & Nit Elimination
Schooltime shampoo is a highly effective product that shows results after just one 15-minute application. For those seeking to find an effective product which is easy to use and also safe for children, this is it. This shampoo is also hypoallergenic, which is good news for those who have allergic reactions to typical shampoos. It’s fragrance-free, color-free, and has no animal ingredients.
- 100% pesticide-free application in a family sized bottle with up to 9 uses
- No further products needed to remove head lice and nits
- Hypoallergenic and safe. Gentle on hair, skin and eyes
The package does not include a comb
The product is thin and therefore not as effective on thick hair.
ZAP Liquid Lice Killing Shampoo
Zap liquid kills lice and their eggs on contact. It works just as well for body and pubic lice as it does for head lice. The product comes with a fine tooth comb to remove lice, and it doesn’t contain any pesticides. The shampoo uses ingredients which are safe for children and it can be used on all hair types.
- The shampoo treats head lice as well as body lice and nits
- It can be used on all hair types
- Inexpensive bottle which also includes a comb
- Some people may need to use the shampoo more than once
- The shampoo must be left in the hair for 15 minutes.
RID Shampo, 8-Ounce
Unlike most other lice shampoos, Rid should be thoroughly applied to dry hair, instead of wet hair, and allowed to sit for a few minutes. This shampoo also works as a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner, leaving no residue behind in the hair, and making the hair easier to comb out after the treatment.
- Proven effective treatment
- Package comes with a comb included
- Easy to use shampoo that kills both adult lice and nits
- Active ingredients are harsh chemicals which are toxic
- Users might need more than one treatment
Licefreee Head Lice Treatment Shampoo
This product is primarily for head lice prevention for kids, and it uses only natural ingredients to eradicate lice. It contains no toxins and is undoubtedly healthier for scalp and hair. With rosemary essential oils, this treatment not only repels lice, but also improves your hair’s health, leaving it looking and smelling great.
- Treatment is easy to use for both adults and kids
- Hypoallergenic, great for those with sensitive skin
- Product works as a preventative measure as well
- Scent a bit irritating for some folks
If you have ever suffered from lice, then you know that if you or someone in your family has them, it is best to get rid of them as soon as possible.
These critters can be a horrible nuisance and getting rid of them is top priority. If you don’t, they might easily spread to other family members.
So do your research, and be sure to choose one of our recommended product. If the product you chose doesn’t do the trick, just try another one. Efficacy is dependent on various factors, and sometimes just choosing another product will get the job done.