In order to get rid of the ants in your house and keep them from coming back, you need to eliminate those ants that are hiding out in your yard. Destroying the nests on your property will make a big difference in how many ants you see inside your home. This is why we have put together a guide on how to find the right products to eliminate outdoor ants.
It’s important that you get rid of ants as soon as you can, since they can cause health problems like allergies and asthma. They also cause structural damage and are a general nuisance that you are better off without.
|Brand||TERRO Ant Killer Plus||Amdro Quick Kill Lawn & Landscape Insect Killer||Demise Fire Ant and Insect Killer|
|Our Take||Best Price||Best Overall||Editor’s Choice|
Why Are Ants So Hard to Get Rid of?
It can be tricky to completely eliminate ants because there are so many of them. How do you know if you got them all? This is especially tricky if you have a large yard. That means there is a lot of ground for you to cover, and in order to eliminate all the ants and keep them from coming back into your house, you need to use an effective, deep-penetrating ant killer.
There are tons of different species of ants- over 10,000 to be more precise – and you won’t be able to get rid of all of them the same way. That’s another reason why it is so hard to eliminate these pests sometimes. The same methods don’t work on every ant species.
Ants often build their nests in hard-to-reach places, so trying to get rid of them may prove tougher than other types of pests that are more easily accessible. While many ant killer products can kill the ants on the surface area where they walk over, it takes specialized chemicals and treatment methods to deal with the ants that are hidden deep in the ground or in other hiding places.
What to Consider Before You Buy Outdoor Ant Solutions?
When you are choosing an ant killing product, you want to make sure you are getting your money’s worth. To help you do that, we have listed a few things you should keep in mind:
- Long Lasting- You are not likely to get all the ants in the area when you apply your ant killing product. You may be able to get all those on your property, but what about the ants nearby? You need something that can last for a while to keep the ants away and show them that your property is inhospitable to them.
- Permeating- You also need an ant spray or ant treatment that can penetrate deep into the ant’s nest and affect the ant queen. That way, ant reproduction will be cut off and you will start to see them less frequently. It only takes an army ant queen a few days to lay as many as 300,000 eggs.
- Safe- Whatever kind of ant killer you buy, it needs to be safe for your family, your pets and your plants. You can end up with chemicals that are too harsh, and you have to be careful about what you are applying to your yard. You can kill the ants without harming anything else, but you need to research what you are planning to buy.
- Effective for Other Pests- You probably have more than just ants getting into your home and infesting your yard, and it doesn’t hurt to buy products that can kill a wide range of pests. Look for products that work on bedbugs, roaches, mosquitos and other common pests that you could do without.
What to Avoid
There are also some things you need to watch out for when you are shopping for an ant killer. Let’s look at what you should be avoiding when you purchase an ant killing product for your yard:
- Indoor Use Only- A lot of ant killers and other pesticides are made for indoor use, as they need those confined spaces to be effective. If you buy the wrong kind of ant killer, it can dissipate or wash away quickly.
- Too Small- When you have ants, you have lots of ants. You need a canister or other container that is big enough to have ample supply of the chemicals you will be using to get rid of the ants.
- Low Quality Containers- You don’t want ant spray spilling all over you as you try to eliminate pests, so you may want to pay slightly more for your ant killer product if you want a durable container.
- Too Fast- It’s great if the ant killer gets rid of ants in seconds, but what about the ones that are harder to get to? Don’t choose anything too fast acting if you want the pesticide to permeate into the nest and affect the whole ant colony.
There are some great products out there that you can use to get rid of ants on your property. We want to to show you some of the best ones for outdoor use.
Keep in mind that sometimes the efficacy of a certain product can depend on where you live, as well as what the weather conditions are. Therefore, if some product didn’t do the job, try using another one. Eventually you will find an ant killer that works for you. As always, read labeling carefully, and follow instructions strictly to avoid any safety issues.
We hope that you found this article informative and that you can use this information to buy the right kind of ant killer for your property. If you follow our guidelines, then you should be rid of those pests in no time at all.