Oh no! It’s flea season once more! As you may have already noticed, fleas can cause severe damage to your rugs and carpets, ranging from minor infestations to destroying your most valuable property. Anyone who has ever had to endure a flea infestation, will understand how important it is to get rid of these critters as soon as possible.
Our Top Picks:
|Brand||Wondercide||Eco Defense||Backyard Bug Control|
|Our Take||Best Price||Best Overall||Editor’s Choice|
Letting fleas infest your home can lead to a miserable household. That’s why we went out to find an easy, safe and cost-effective solution for pest control, that you can easily apply yourself.
Why Are Fleas So Hard to Get Rid Of
Fleas lay most of their eggs on carpets and rugs inside a house or apartment. Female adult fleas can lay up to 50 eggs per day. This is why the sooner you deal with the problem the better, since leaving fleas to reproduce undisturbed, will make them harder to get rid of as time passes.
As these pests can lodge deep in your carpet / curtains / couch / mattress or any other textile covered furniture, the most effective way to reach them would be sparying any potentially infected fabrics with special pesticide.
Also Read: Best Flea Powder & Spray For Carpets
We can’t emphasize enough the need to dispose of flea infestations ASAP, before they transmit diseases that range from mild allergies to serious skin infections.
Best Pest Control Spray for Homes
Previously, people used chemical substances to control pests. These substances are very strong, and can consequently create many health problems.
To avoid harmful side effects these chemicals can cause, it is recommended that you use an environmentally friendly approach to dealing with those pesky pests. By using eco-friendly sprays and products, you can keep your house free from fleas and not have your whole household exposed to harmful chemicals.
Also Read: The Best Flea Fogger and Flea Bombs Reviews
We have compiled a list of some of the best products out there, that will take care of business, while making sure your family stays safe, without burning a hole in your pocket.
Most of the products in this review, will also be effective in repelling and eliminating other pests, just in case you have a nagging insect issue in or around your home.
Eco Defense Organic Home Pest Control Spray
The Eco Defense Organic Home Pest Control Spray naturally eliminates and Repels home invading pests including: house roach, spiders, ants, fleas, earwigs, stink bugs, mites and other common household pests. This pest control spray is ideal for both office and home use.
Just as the name suggests, this product is made of all-natural, organic and non-toxic ingredients. As such, it is safe for use on beds that might be infested by bed bugs.
- Safe for use around the house.
- Organic and non-toxic.
- Great money back guarantee.
- May not work for larger pest, such as mice. Even though, it has been shown to be effective against fleas and bed bugs.
Wondercide Natural Indoor Pest Control Home and Patio Spray 32 oz Lemongrass
This is another good solution for your average pest and flea infestation. It works well against ticks, ants, bugs and mites. Results show usually pretty fast. You will notice that after a short time, your house and yard will have been freed from pest infestations.
A great feature of the Wondercide Natural Indoor Pest Control Home is that it isn’t packed with dangerous chemicals. No poisons, insecticides or harmful substances used. It provides an environment-friendly solution for driving fleas and ticks away, and can be easily sprayed on furniture, bedding and mattresses.
- Price is affordable, great value for money.
- Has a great fresh citrus scent.
- Reviews state that this product worked great.
- There have been a few reports of the spray staining hardwood floors. Better used for carpets and other fabrics, where stains won’t show.
Cutter Backyard Bug Control Spray Concentrate
The Cutter Backyard Bug Control Spray Concentrate has a solid reputation in the US market. It does an effective job keeping your yard free from annoying insects and many different pests.
Since this product is designed to keep your garden pest-free, it does use some pretty strong substances to get the job done effectively. Nevertheless, we do recommend this product, since many flea infestations can originate for your own back yard, where they have plenty of hiding and dwelling space. Sometimes, minor flea issues can go away by just keeping your back yard free of fleas.
- Able to cover a large surface area – good value for money.
- Long lasting – you will see results for up to one month, even after light rain.
- Easy to use.
- Contains some strong chemicals.
Orange Guard 103 Water Based Indoor/Outdoor Home Pest Control
This water-based indoor and outdoor pesticide is made out of orange peel extract, and is regarded as GRAS by the FDA (Generally Regarded As Safe), meaning you can rest assure no harmful chemicals will come near your household.
After years of extensive research and certification, the inventor of this special formula states that this product can be used around food, humans and pet alike, without the chance of getting affected by strong chemicals.
- Chemical free and safe for indoor home use.
- Is very effective, even though isn’t based on any strong chemical.
- Smells nice.
- You might need to apply multiple times, and there were some reports of it leaving behind an oily residue.
Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Pet & Home Spray
This product is an advanced formula, eco-friendly flea spray that works on every surface. It is an environmentally friendly product to use that does not contain any harmful chemicals, compared to other, more conventional pesticides.
This is an effective product that eliminates pest, flea eggs, and ticks on contact. In fact, it is safe enough to spray directly on your dog, as long as it is 12 weeks old, or anywhere around the house, as it is perfectly safe for your family too.
- Made in the USA, subject to strict quality assurance.
- Will not stain, so can be sprayed directly on any surface that needs pest protection.
- Easy to use.
- May not be sufficient for all types of pests.
Ortho 0196710 Home Defense MAX Insect Killer Spray for Indoor
The Ortho Home Defense Max product, creates, as the manufacturer calls it, a bug barrier that will keep you free of ants, fleas, roaches and spiders. This product comes with a handy sprayer, so getting a substantial area covered with it is a breeze.
The great thing about this product, is that it is long lasting. The manufacturer states that if allowed to dry properly, it can last for up to 12 months. We can’t say whether it will last that long, but many reviews did comment that this product lasted for much more protection time, compared to other ones on the market.
- Inexpensive – great value for money. As this is a long lasting product, you will find that one container will last you quiet a long time.
- Works well with different types of pests.
- Safe for use around pets. Just make sure it dries up completely before you let your pets wander around the house.
- May not be effective against bigger pests, such as rodents. Then again, this is a “bug barrier”.
Bio Spot Active Care Flea Powder
The best thing about Bio Spot Active Care Flea Powder is that it does a very thorough job of eliminating fleas and ticks. Since the powder stops all 4 stages of the flea life cycle (eggs, larvae, pupae and adult fleas),
your carpets and upholstery are sure to be flea-free. The good thing about it coming in powder form, is that if used according to instructions, it does penetrate deep into the carpet and upholstery fabric, and eliminates any flea infestation.
- Very effective for moderate+ flea infestations.
- Starts working immediately and is long lasting. According to the manufacturer, it can be effective for up to 1 year.
- Affordable price tag.
- Very effective against fleas, but does’t work well against other pests.
- May be a bit of a hassle to use, since carpets and upholstery need to be vacuumed after applying the powder.
SERGEANT’S PET 3235 Flea & Tick Carpet Powder
The SERGEANT’S PET 3235 Flea & Tick Carpet Powder guarantees you solid results in a short period of time, since this product also eliminates fleas in all life stages. Just like other powder products, you need to make sure and let it settle before vacuuming lightly. Place special care and avoid inhaling while applying this product.
According to the manufacturer, one container of powder should be enough for about 200-400 square feet, so if choose to use this product, be sure to buy enough of it, so that you get all your carpets and upholstery covered.
- Kills all stages of the flea life cycle.
- Very effective for eliminating flea infestations.
- Has a pleasant smell when applied.
- Can be a bit of a hassle to apply, since it will have to be vacuumed after applying.
- According to the manufacturer, flea control will be good for about 7 months, which is less compared to other products on the market.
Durvet 011-1134 No Bite IGR Flea & Tick House & Carpet Spray
Looking for a quick and easy to apply flea and tick eliminator? Well, this product is definitely an option you could go for. Since this product comes in spray form, it is easy to apply, and can be used also on curtains and drapes, should you spot any fleas bouncing around them.
Compare to other powder products, there is no hassle using this spray. Just shake the can and spread it over the area of interest, easy as that.
With that said, since this is not a powder, manufacturer states it will be effective for 4 months which is less time compared to other products we reviewed.
- Very easy to apply – just point and spray.
- Effective in breaking up the flea infestation life cycle.
- There have been some reports of this product having an unpleasant smell.
- Doesn’t last as much time compared to other products we reviewed.
Wondercide Ready-to-Use Natural Outdoor Pest Control Spray
Back to an product that is good for outdoors, the Wondercide Ready-to-Use Natural Outdoor Pest Control Spray uses an advanced formula to repel pest, mosquitos, flies and fleas, ticks, ants, chiggers, no-see-ums, mites and many other unwelcome critters.
The chemicals used in this product are biodegradable and non-toxic for pets, so you can rest assure when using this around your backyard where children and pets run around. Just attach your garden hose to the easy-to-use sprayer and get up to 5000 sq. feet of coverage for a 32 oz. bottle. There are different container sizes, should you require more of the product for a larger yard.
- Made in the USA under strict quality assurance.
- Well priced and good value for money. It does get quite a large area covered.
- Safe to Use around children and pets.
- 100% bio-degradable.
- There have been some reports of customers saying it didn’t solve their bug-issues. Try buying a smaller container first to make sure it works, before purchasing a larger one.
What You Should Consider When Buying Pest Control Products for Home Use
Safety- Make sure the products are safe for use around children and pets in your home. If possible prioritize Eco-friendly formulas over cheap industrial solutions, and in any case – be sure to follow instructions and labeling very carefully.
When using aerosol sprays and powders, make sure that no wind gusts will cause you to inhale any of the substances used.
Effectiveness- Most folks who buy flea powders do not fuuly understand how they work. These products are known to work effectively in repelling away fleas when applied correctly, but may not be suitable for repelling other insects, such as silverfish or roaches.
Cost- One key aspect that you need to consider is the cost of the product you want to purchase. You should not go for an option that will cost you more than what you budgeted for.
As always, common sense is always best-practice. If you have small children running around your home or yard, go for an eco-friendly and non-toxic products .
If you have a bad flea infestation in your carpets, you’d better opt for a powder product rather than an outdoor spray you can attach to a hose. This way, you won’t waste time and money on products, that may be good, but not fit for the job at hand.